Tuesday, March 3, 2015

DVT

DVT...these are three letters I wasn't familiar with until yesterday...Deep Vein Thrombosis...

Yep, a blood clot...in my left leg.

It's been almost six weeks since we welcomed our little girl into the world...it took two weeks for all of the fluids I was pumped up with to leave my body and when they finally did, my left foot and ankle seemed to be the only part still retaining water...

I, being a new mom trying to keep from hauling our new baby to every doctor in the city, did not have an ultrasound when my OBGYN recommended. Plus, I totally thought I had stress fractures in my foot (because apparently I'm a doctor?!?!)

Well, thank goodness I decided to schedule an appointment with my orthopedist yesterday and thank goodness he made me an appointment to get an ultrasound on my leg, ankle, and foot yesterday because yep...there's a blood clot. (Key words here...he MADE ME AN APPOINTMENT...thus I felt inclined to go)

I saw two doctors and two radiology technicians yesterday, in three different offices, in three different parts of the city...all while hauling our new baby with me. Obviously my plan to keep from hauling her everywhere did not work.

So now, I'm on blood thinners and giving myself a shot everyday for the next 7-10 days. I can't workout for two weeks while we get this under control...and I'm looking at up to six months on a medication my grandmother took (she was in her 90's when she was taking it...)...

Lesson learned...when your body tells you something isn't right and your doctor suggests an ultrasound...get it...right when she suggests it.

I am going to be fine, right after I get over the shock and once I (admittedly) stop feeling sorry for myself. I'm going to have to cut back on alcohol...even though I'm only just now able to have a teensy glass of wine...and I'm going to have to try and remember that I am fragile now (which is going to make shaving my legs WAY more tedious that it has been...)

I'm really not sure what the point of this post is, except to say when you notice something off about your body, take care of it...sooner rather than later. Though the location of this clot makes it somewhat unlikely that it could do real damage...it still could. And I'm so thankful I finally got this checked out.

People...take care of yourselves!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment