Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Cinnamon Heaven

Ahh this weekend! It was fabulous! A magnificent weekend with close friends and family to celebrate our beautiful nation! As I promised, I have provided a pictures of the most wonderful cinnamon roll in the universe, paired with a cup of surprisingly nice, but somewhat weak coffee. We ate breakfast at this, my favorite, cafe twice and had a cinnamon roll for "dessert" each time! We were even lucky enough to acquire an extra cinnamon roll on our last trip to The Cafe, as we were headed out of town on Monday. I must admit that not an hour into our journey, we had finished that fantastic little bun!

In my enthusiasm over the cinnamon roll, I've neglected to tell you about all of the other wonderful dishes as the restaurant we affectionately call "The Cafe". My personal favorite is the omelet. It is a "create your own" sort of set up where they provide you with a list of possible ingredients and you choose what you want. Adam, my husband, and I always have at least one omelet on our weekend getaways to St. Simons. I always get the same one! I love the usual ingredients: tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, and spinach. But, it is the final element that makes this omelet so great! I add crab!

Now, I'm sure you're shaking your head right now, not sure of how your feel about pairing crab with eggs. But, I assure you, it is pure goodness! The rich, buttery flavor of the crab makes this dish superb! The hint of onion and bell pepper add to the already excellent flavor of the crab, and the perfectly cooked spinach adds just a tiny bit of crunch to each mouth-watering bite. This most perfect combination of eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms, onion, bell peppers, spinach, and crab is good enough to eat every morning (or night)! I'm dying to try and recreate this fantastic meal in my own kitchen!

I'm sure you think based on what I've written so far, that I spend all my time this weekend eating breakfast! But, I did not! We woke up bright and early on Saturday morning and the whole family, husbands and boyfriends included, participated in the Sunshine Festival 5K. What a perfect run for a hot July day! And the best part of all is that it wasn't really that hot. We have been blessed with a cold front this July and the weather, up until yesterday, has been extraordinary! The weather on the 4th felt like early fall! Can you imagine, early July in Georgia with lows in the 70s. It's unheard of and particularly fabulous!

We spent our days this weekend lounging on the beach, playing in the ocean, and soaking up some rays. On Saturday afternoon, my best friend called with an offer we couldn't refuse! So, Adam and I met my dearest friend and her wonderful father at the airport where they took us on a fabulous helicopter ride around the islands. What a great way to spend an afternoon! The views of the marshes were stunning! The marsh grass this time of year is a stunning bright green and the canals that cut through it a dark, muddy gray creating a beautiful contrast. We flew over the beaches, the marinas, and the lighthouse. It was breathtaking. Oh what a perfect way to spend a weekend in Georgia!

No comments:

Post a Comment