Thursday, August 15, 2013

Post-Detox

It was a long three days, but I did it!

Going into this experience, I was a total skeptic. Now, I'm sure this is where you're thinking I'm going to tell you that the detox was just life-changing...well, it wasn't. It wasn't a bad experience, and it wasn't an amazing experience...it was just an experience.

I am glad that I gave it a try. As you know, as a skeptic, I did this because I wanted to be able to give an educated opinion on detoxes in general. So, here are my thoughts and opinions about my experience.

I think this particular detox was a great detox for beginners. It was pretty easy, fairly short, and my favorite...pretty darn natural. (Aside from the fact that I don't typically blend my food.)

All of the ingredients and components in this detox were things that were easy to find, and most of them were things I already purchase regularly. That said, I also believe that it might be why this detox didn't seem "life-changing" to me.

Pros:

  • I feel thinner. I don't feel bloated in the slightest bit.
  • My hands and feet, which sometimes swell in the heat or later in the day have not done so, which I'm sure is something we can attribute to the lack of sodium in my diet over the past few days. Let's be honest, this girl loves her salt shaker.
  • So far, I am eating smaller meals, but more frequently...which is a good healthy habit!
  • Slept like a log...

Cons:
  • For three days I was hungry a few times throughout the day and not able to snack when I wanted. (just a pet peeve more than an actual con...)
  • Had to drink one pretty weird drink at lunch for three days. (again...more pet peeve...)
  • I lacked energy and could not work out when I wanted to (this is a normal side effect of detoxing...and just another pet peeve)
I do feel like this detox is a great time for a sort of fresh start. This summer I've been living it up...and it's time to get back to the real world! Here are a few habits I'd like to form post-detox.

Make it a Habit:
  • I kicked the caffeine during the detox. It's amazing that after three days of headaches...I'm feeling good! I'd like to keep it that way, so no more caffeine!
  • Small meals more often. 
  • Drink more water!!!
  • Start the day off with a cup of green tea with lemon. It's a yummy combination and a good little daily detox drink!
  • Only eat when I'm hungry.
  • Detox baths...not so much for the detox, but for the relaxation!

Here are a few habits I want to kick...or at least improve after a crazy fun summer:
  • Drink less
  • Think a little more carefully before I eat that bowl of ice cream, chocolate cookie, milkshake, etc....
  • Get back on a regular workout routine.
All in all, the detox wasn't so bad. I'm glad I gave it a shot and I would do it again if a situation like mine presented itself: aka....if I spent another summer eating and drinking like it's going out of style!

Now, I'm back on the wagon and it's time to buckle down and get back in shape!


No comments:

Post a Comment