Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Our Fourth of July Weekend

This post is coming to you a little...actually a lot late, but oh well! 

We had a great Fourth of July weekend in St. Simons with my family. Adam and I were able to leave Columbia early on Thursday afternoon to make it there in time for dinner at Coastal Kitchen and Raw Bar. It had been awhile since I'd been there, and this was Adam's first visit. We sat outside on the porch and the temperature was perfect. We had a great breeze from the marina, and even better company! 

Before dinner picture!
After dinner, we headed back to the house so we could get to bed early in preparation for the annual Fourth of July 5K! We have been getting up early to run this race for as long as I can remember. My sister and I started out with the Fun Run 1 Mile run when we were younger and worked our way up to the 5K!
Runners up early and ready to go!
The run was so much fun, as usual, but this was definitely not my best run ever! I've been doing a lot more walking than running lately and I could definitely tell! Hopefully I'll be back in running shape post-baby! After the race we went back to the house, showered, ate breakfast, and packed up to head to the beach! It was nice to get a good run in first thing so that we could lounge on the beach for the rest of the day!
Beach bums!

With my sweet dad!
Beach day with some of closest family friends, and of course, my mom!
After a full day on the beach, we went back home and everyone crashed for a little while. We all took showers, and naps and had a little pick me up snack. Then our dear friends joined us for our annual cookout! We had red hots (a Jackson party specialty) as our appetizers, served with white bread and mustard. For dinner we had ribs, corn, potato salad, cucumbers and tomatoes and key lime pie for dessert! We watched the fireworks from the dining room table and then enjoyed spreading our little tid-bit of exciting news to friends and family via phone, text, and Facebook! It was a fun way to spend the holiday!
Dad and Mr. Larry grilling red hots!
Part of the crew!
Fam photo
On Saturday, we woke up early and went our separate ways for runs and walks, then showered and headed to breakfast a Cafe Frederica. This is by far the best place in the world to eat breakfast. I had my favorite, roast beef hash with two poached eggs...though this time, my eggs were poached well - it was a little sad, because I love a runny poached egg...but I managed to clean my plate anyway! And for dessert, we all split a cinnamon roll. I've already posted about these cinnamon rolls before, but they are UN-BE-LIEV-ABLE! Once we got home we packed up lunches and headed to the beach for the rest of the day.

Saturday night was our last night in St. Simons so we all went out to one of our favorite dinner spots, Georgia Sea Grill. We had a great meal, as usual...and I splurged a little and got my favorite dessert, the toasted coconut chocolate silk pie. The pie is served warm with whipped cream and tastes like the best chocolate chip cookie you have ever had. I, obviously, enjoyed the heck out of it!
Pre-Dinner Pic!
We had a great weekend at the beach and I can't wait to go back again soon! It was crazy to think that this was our last Fourth of July in St. Simons before little nugget arrives. We soaked up a lot of beach time, because I'm willing to bet next year's trip will be a little different! (In a good way, of course!)

No comments:

Post a Comment