BUT, I'm back! Aside from a few low moments here and there, I feel like myself again and the slightest mention of food makes me hungry, rather than sick! I am proud to say that this week, we are officially back on a weekly dinner schedule and the groceries for the first half of the week have been purchased. (I realize it is Wednesday and thus the first half of the week is coming to an end, but this is a feat, nonetheless!)
For all of you curious minds out there, prior to finding out I was expecting, I was the queen of planning our dinners, usually Monday through Friday, on Sunday afternoon and getting all of the grocery shopping done Sunday or Monday evening. Well, that all changed the week that I suddenly decided I could not eat anything on the menu that I'd planned.
So we're back on track and here is our menu for this week:
Monday: Jalapeño Lime Chicken Soup
Tuesday: Smoked Gouda Mushroom Quesadillas
Wednesday: Black pepper stir fried noodles with chicken and vegetables
Thursday: Spinach Fettuccine with Chicken and sautéed greens
Friday: Hamburgers and Turkey Burgers, salad, and Heirloom Tomato Tart with Ricotta and Basil
Saturday: Out to dinner
Sunday: Baked Chicken Salad and salad
On Monday night, I tried Pinch of Yum's Jalapeño Lime Chicken Soup. It was DELICIOUS. It had a nice kick and the flavor was wonderful. Adam and I both went back for seconds and we had plenty left over for us to have for lunch this week. We always love a meal that gives us lunches later!
Per usual, I tweaked the recipe slightly. So here is my adaptation of their Jalapeño Lime Chicken Soup.
Jalapeño Lime Chicken Soup
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 2 pounds chicken breasts (roughly four chicken breasts)
- 3 jalapeños, 2 seeded and ribbed and one not. (I think you could do 2, 1 or even none. The salsa verde has a little kick to it. If you skipped jalapeños in the soup, you could garnish with them later)
- ½ large red onion
- 4 14 ounce cans white beans (canellini or great northern)
- 2 16 ounce jars salsa verde
- 4 limes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- fresh cilantro for serving
- sour cream for serving
- avocado cubed for serving
- Bring the chicken broth and water to a boil in a large pot. Add the raw chicken breasts to the hot liquid; cover and cook for 20-30 minutes, or until completely cooked. Remove the cooked chicken from the hot liquid and set aside to cool.
- Return the liquid to the pot over medium heat. Shred the chicken breasts with two forks and add the chicken back to the pot.
- Finely chop the onion and slice the jalapeños.
- Add the jalapeño, red onion, white beans, and salsa verde to the pot. Simmer for 30 minutes over medium heat. Just before serving, squeeze the juice of one lime into the pot. Cut the remaining limes into wedges for serving. Add the salt; taste and adjust as needed. Serve with fresh cilantro, sour cream, avocado, and lime wedges.
- Enjoy and let me know what you think!