Thursday, October 6, 2016

Thai Mussels

So back in July, I promised you an amazing recipe for Thai Mussels...I am finally going to deliver on that promise.

I was watching The Kitchen...which is really a pretty cool show. I like that all of the hosts participate by contributing their own takes on recipes. On this particular episode they were exchanging recipes for a Stove Free Summer and Jeff Mauro did a recipe for Slow Cooker Thai Coconut Mussels.

I thought his recipe sounded great, but that the slow-cooker component was just not something that really made sense for us. Mussels cook very quickly, so they actually make an awesome easy weeknight supper. So I did a little tweaking and here is my version...


Thai Coconut Mussles

Ingredients

2 cups chicken stock
2 tablespoons fish sauce, plus more if you really like fish sauce
1 tablespoon of minced garlic (I used the kind from the jar)
1 jalapeno, chopped
1 tablespoon of pureed lemongrass (I used the kind from the tube)
1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
2 pounds fresh mussels, cleaned, scrubbed and debeareded (I highly recommend Whole Foods mussels, they are already cleaned and debearded and the cost is about the same as other stores)
1 can of coconut milk
1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
Zest and juice of one lime

Directions

Saute the garlic, jalapeno, lemongrass and onion until the onion is transparent. Add the chicken stock, fish sauce and coconut milk and bring to a boil. Add the mussels and cover. Cook, occasionally stirring, until the mussels are open, add the juice of one lime and the lime zest and stir. Serve in a large bowl and top with cilantro.

I served ours with roasted potatoes and they were the perfect side! This was a great, easy meal!

What are some of your go-to easy meals?

On another note, Adam and I just started the Whole 30 this week and I've already got some good recipes to share!! Have you do the Whole 30? What are your go-to recipes?

No comments:

Post a Comment