Monday, January 5, 2015

Postpartum Goals

I realize that I have not even had the baby yet, but you guys know I like to have a plan! I know that people always have these lofty postpartum goals that aren't necessarily realistic, so I'm trying to set these goals with an open mind that they may change and things might take a while.

I have no real deadlines, except for the one obvious one...so here they are:

Goal 1: 
Lose the baby weight. I'm currently up almost 40 pounds from my pre-pregnancy weight. I know that some of that weight I will shed almost immediately, but I also know that 40 pounds is a lot. I'm not setting any lofty goals of being back in my regular clothes by a certain point or anything like that, I just want to focus on being healthy and doing what's best for me and what's best for our daughter.

It will absolutely take time to lose the weight, and I absolutely know that even when I lose it my body probably won't look the same. But post-baby, I want to make a conscious effort to get back in shape and lose the weight I put on, one pound at a time.

Goal 2:
I want to run the Fourth of July 5K in St. Simons this year. My family has been running this race or the "Fun Run" (when we were younger) for as long as I can remember. In 2014, I was about 12 weeks pregnant and not feeling so great. I struggled through the 5K and ended up walking a few parts of it. This year, I'm determined to be running the whole thing again. No time goals, just want to run it and finish!

This race was basically when I decided to slow down on the running during this pregnancy and when I ultimately cut back on running until I eventually quit. Thus, I thought it would be appropriate for me to go ahead and use this as my first race back, post-baby!
Race day 2014!
Goal 3:
I want to be comfortable in a bathing suit this summer. This does not necessarily mean a bikini, but for the few minutes we're able to go out on the beach this summer (even if it's at 6:30 in the morning or 6:30 at night) I want to be comfortable with my body. To me this is as much about a healthy body as it is about a healthy mind and healthy self-esteem.

I've been hard on myself about my body and my weight gain throughout this pregnancy and one thing I've learned is that when you are pregnant, no matter what, your body takes what it needs. I have struggled with being "okay" with that concept and to be perfectly frank, I don't love my body like "this" the way that I should. This is a goal I'm starting on now (though it is a little late to start loving my pregnant body...) it's time to grow up and get comfortable with my healthy body no matter what the shape.

SANITY GOALS:
I also have another set of postpartum goals that are not tied to health or fitness, but more tied to my own sanity! My dear mom is going to be setting up camp with us for a while once the baby arrives. She'll be here to help guide us through the first little bit and make sure that we know what we're doing and that we get a little sleep! Before she leaves, there are two things I want to absolutely have down pat, and two things I want to be starting to get comfortable with.

Goal 1:
I want to absolutely know that every day the bed will be made. This should be fairly easy since Adam and I are bed makers, but even still, this is something that I really do not want to have fall by the wayside.

Goal 2:
I want to have some kind of plan that allows me to shower, EVERY DAY. That includes washing my hair...I love showers, I take at least one every day...I will need to continue to take at least one every day, both for the quiet time, my sanity, and the cleanliness.

Goal 3:
This one is silly, but I want to make sure that I'm starting to get comfortable with a routine of getting ready. So taking a shower, drying my hair, and putting on a teeny bit of makeup, if I know we might be expecting a visitor or two. I have always thought that if I look a little better, I feel a little better. So maybe that will help with this whole parenting gig...if I look like I have it under control, then maybe I will!

Goal 4:
I want to be starting to feel comfortable enough with getting the baby ready and out of the house, even if it is just for a trip to the pediatrician! I know our first ventures out of the house will be a team effort. Either Adam or my mom will be around to help me load the baby, and all of her accessories up, and drive to the pediatrician with me. BUT, before my mom leaves, I want her to accompany us, but let me do all the heavy lifting!

We are so excited to meet our daughter and can't wait for the fun to begin. I feel like these last few weeks of pregnancy are all about hurry up and wait! I'm a ticking time bomb...and we have no idea when I'm going to go off. So, I like the idea of at least trying to have a plan for how things are going to go once our sweet babe arrives!

No comments:

Post a Comment