Monday, January 28, 2013

Mushroom Ravioli with a Crab and Tomato Cream Sauce

As some of you might know, Adam and I traveled to Italy last May and ever since, we've been a little bit obsessed with Italian food (but who isn't?) That said, after Tapas Night, I had some lump crab meat left and so I decided to pair it with one of my favorites, mushroom ravioli.

This summer, after returning from our trip, Adam and I decided we wanted to learn to cook authentic Italian food. We thought we would start by learning how to make pasta. Homemade pasta is delicious. It is a lot of work, but it is well worth it.

This is a photo from when we made homemade fettuccine. 

If you are interested in making your own pasta, I highly recommend going with the hand crank pasta machine, like the one pictured above. The hand crank allows you to control the speed of your pasta making...and let me go ahead and tell you...that is a good thing! Making pasta is a great two-person activity. Adam and I LOVE to make homemade pasta and ravioli on the weekends.

A pan of fresh mushroom and goat cheese ravioli...it only took about two hours...

But, as the photo caption above states, making your own ravioli is a bit time consuming. For weeknight ravioli, I use the Buitoni Wild Mushroom Agnolotti. It is very good and has that homemade taste. 

Tonight, I sauteed roma tomatoes in olive oil and deglazed the pan with a splash of white wine, then tossed in mushrooms and my lump crab. Once the sauce was boiling, I sprinkled in Boursin cheese, a creamy garlic and herb cheese, garlic powder, and freshly ground black pepper. Once the ravioli was cooked, I tossed it with the sauce and it was ready to serve. 

Wild Mushroom Agnolotti with Tomato Crab Cream Sauce

I always like to make sure that our meals have a salad or at least one green vegetable...and most of the time, I aim for both. Adam and I love zucchini. While I was working on the pasta, I sauteed some zucchini in olive oil with salt and pepper. I stirred the zucchini occasionally, but not too much. I like to brown the edges, it gives the zucchini a nice flavor.

Sauteed Zucchini


We sat down to dinner and everything was great...and very simple. I think the meal took me about 25 minutes to prepare! I love a good, easy week night meal! What did you cook for dinner tonight?


No comments:

Post a Comment