Friday, January 25, 2013

Two New Recipes

One of my New Years Resolutions for 2013 was to get out of my cooking rut and start trying some new things. I love to cook, but as I'm sure many of you understand, sometimes I get in a rut where I cook the same things over...and over...and over again.

This week I've been in Greenville for work helping out as our Greenville office moves into a new building. Needless to say, it's been kind of a crazy week and I haven't been to the grocery store! Last night I had to run some errands after work and Adam was working late. We didn't get home and settled in until around 7:15! So we needed a dinner that was easy. I had two bone-in chicken breasts, some quinoa (a new pantry staple!), and some veggies.

I called my mom (she is a cooking master) to get some ideas. Adam and I pretty much stock boneless skinless chicken breasts in our freezer, but I had two skinless bone-in chicken breasts that needed to be cooked. My mom gave me a great, and simple, recipe for authentic Italian baked chicken. The original recipe came from a member of my parents church who is actually from Italy (hence the authentic).

I baked the chicken breasts at 400°F for about one hour. Before baking, I sprinkled salt and pepper over the chicken and placed them on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and sprayed with Olive Oil Pam. While the chicken was roasting, I mixed together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, and oregano. After an hour, I took the chicken out of the oven, poured the sauce over it and put it back in the oven for 15 minutes.

With about 20 minutes of cooking time left for the chicken, I started my mushroom and kale quinoa. I cooked the quinoa in chicken broth. In a skillet, I sauteed diced red onion and kale with a little olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. When the kale was almost completely wilted, I threw in my sliced mushrooms. When the quinoa was cooked, I folded in the vegetables and we were ready to eat!

The result, a great, easy and healthy meal.

The chicken was very tender and juicy and the quinoa was packed with flavor and tons of texture. All in all, it was a fantastic meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment