Thursday, October 8, 2015

Prayers

It has taken me quite awhile to get around to this post. The past week has been a rough one, to put it mildly, for our community. No post can give either of the terrible events the attention they deserve, but I'll try.



In the middle of last week, we lost Forest Acres Policeman, Greg Alia. Though I only met him once, through mutual friends, I remember the conversation we shared about raising newborn babies and how, though it is difficult, it does get easier. He talked about his son Sal, who was only a few months old at the time, and we commiserated over the lack of sleep. I could tell, even in our short conversation, that he loved his wife and his son and was a true family man.

He is not someone who will be forgotten. His life made an impact on those he encountered, and his story will make an impact on so many more. He left behind his beautiful family, Kassy and Sal. If you would like to support the Alias, you may do so here.

Shortly after Officer Alia's funeral, Columbia experienced torrential downpours and flooding. Adam and I are so lucky to report that our home sustained no damage, but we know of so many people who are now dealing with a great loss.

I am so proud at how our state and our city have rallied to gather food, water, clothes toiletries and cleaning supplies all over for those in need. Our church, Trenholm Road United Methodist Church is still collecting these items. We have a long way to go in terms of clean up and repairs, but we are slowly making progress and the overall attitude of everyone I talk to is hopeful and positive.

To say that it has been a tough week would be an understatement. Pray for South Carolina, pray for those in need. There are many ways to help in South Carolina for those of you in state and out of state. If you are interested, please contact me and I will be happy to walk you through the options.

Thank you for your prayers.


No comments:

Post a Comment